By Alan J. Bauman, MD, ABHRS
Hair loss science is progressing very rapidly and there have been several recent medical advancements that are improving the quality of hair restoration as well as helping patients assess in advance how at risk they might be.
A few of the exciting cutting-edge treatment options to consider and ask your ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery)-certified Hair Restoration Physician about include:
- Minimally-Invasive, Permanent, No-Linear-Scar Follicular Unit Excision/Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant using SmartGraft®, NeoGraft®, ARTAS robotic-assisted, or other devices.
- PDOgro™ – Implanted Polydioxanone threads for hair growth
- Non-surgical 3D-Printed Hair Systems or Cranial Prostheses
- High-Density Platelet Rich Plasma (HD-PRP) “Vampire” Hair Regrowth Therapy with Extracellular Matrix (ECM)
- Compounded Formula 82M Minoxidil – a more powerful, non-greasy Rogaine alternative
- Compounded Formula 82F Topical Finasteride + Minoxidil – designed to reduce the risk of side-effects from oral finasteride (Propecia).
- Low-Level Laser Therapy – FDA-cleared, drug-free, side-effect-free hair regrowth using powerful physician-only devices such as CapillusRX 312 or the “Turbo” LaserCap devices for at-home use.
- Nutritionals & Nutraceuticals: SuperBiotin, Nutrafol & ViviscalPRO
- Hair Mass measurements using HairCheck® to help non-invasively evaluate hair loss conditions, measure early responses to therapy over time – months before they’re noticeable to the naked eye — and also determine exactly when to repeat your PRP treatments.
- Scientific “Scalp Makeover®” – evaluation, diagnosis and treatment regimens for itchy, dry, flaking or oily conditions and other scalp imbalances that can impair healthy hair growth.
- Hair Loss Risk Management – the identification and reduction of medical and lifestyle risk factors that detrimentally impact hair growth.
Benefits of a
While hair loss is a treatable condition, and there are a variety of effective treatment options available, it’s important for patients to understand that there isn’t a quick fix. Often, as it is in many areas of medicine, “multi-therapy” or a combination of several different treatments, may have the best chance for achieving long-term success depending on the patient’s risk factors, the severity of their condition, and their unique hair restoration goals.
This approach not only focuses on restoring hair that has been lost but also sets up a plan to protect the hair that you have against suffering the same fate. Again, each patient may require a slightly varied treatment regimen, but our experience shows that 90% of patients benefit from this approach. The multi-therapy treatment plan also avoids the patient putting all their eggs in one basket, so to speak, and wasting time and money on treatments that aren’t giving them the results they desire.
Depending on the severity and stage of one’s hair loss, the treatment regimen may be simple or more complex. Medical treatments that will synergistically help mitigate hair loss may include a specially-compounded prescription minoxidil solution, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP), prostaglandin analogs, low-level laser therapy, and nutritional supplements. In advanced cases, hair transplantation may be the patient’s best strategy for treating hair loss. For transplant patients, a multi-therapy approach may still be recommended to protect the non-transplanted hair follicles from loss.
Some examples of powerful combination multi-therapy regimens that Bauman Medical prescribes for hair regrowth include:
- Topical Compounded Formula 82M Minoxidil and Turbo LaserCap or Capillus Laser Therapy
- HD-PRP Platelet Rich Plasma with ECM and Topical Compounded Formula 82M Minoxidil
- Oral Compounded FinPlus Finasteride and Turbo LaserCap or Capillus Laser Therapy
- Topical Compounded Formula 82M Minoxidil and Oral Compounded FinPlus Finasteride
- Turbo LaserCap or Capillus Laser Therapy and HD-PRP Platelet Rich Plasma with ECM
- Oral Compounded FinPlus Finasteride and
- HD-PRP Platelet Rich Plasma with ECM
Because hair loss can be influenced by a number of factors including genetics, medications, lifestyle, illness, stress, diet, poor sleep, hormones, autoimmune conditions, inflammation and more, it is always important to seek out a proper diagnosis from a full-time experienced ABHRS-certified hair restoration physician. Working along with your other doctors, this physician can provide a “Master Plan” for your individual hair loss situation as well as measure and track your progress over time so you know if you are reaching your hair restoration goals – or if your treatment regimen needs to be adjusted to optimize results.
Because science shows that you can lose 50% of your hair without it being noticeable to the naked eye, the earlier you can get started on a treatment regimen, the more likely you are to retain your current hair with the minimum amount of treatment. Just remember, hair loss is no longer inevitable, it’s optional, but only if you take action and take advantage of the effective tools and treatments available. When executed properly, hair restoration can be a fantastic, rewarding and life-changing decision that most patients regret not doing sooner.
For more information on the causes and treatments for hair loss, or to learn what treatment regimen is right for you, please visit www.baumanmedical.com or call 561-220-3480.