Your heart works hard for you nonstop for your whole life. So, show it some love. Making small changes in your habits can make a real difference to your ticker. In addition to quitting smoking, and making heart-healthy eating changes, exercise is an effective lifestyle change keep your heart healthy. At Ave Maria, our residents have access to many exercise options both indoors and out.
Tips for Better Heart Health
Don’t smoke. Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States. If you don’t smoke, don’t start. If you do smoke, learn how to quit.
Make healthy eating a habit. Small changes in your eating habits can make a big difference. Try making healthier versions of your favorite recipes. How? Look for ways to lower sodium and trans fat, and add more fruits and vegetables.
Move More. To keep it simple, you can aim for 30 minutes a day, five days a week of moderate exercise. That includes any activity that gets you moving around and breaking a slight sweat.
Do More of What You Love. Make a point to spend time with people you’re close to. Talk, laugh, confide, and enjoy each other. It’s good for your emotional health and your heart.
What Kind of Exercise Will Help?
To help lower your blood pressure and risk for heart attack and stroke, the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends an average of 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity three or four times a week. For overall cardiovascular health, the AHA suggests at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise — or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise — per week.
Examples of moderate-intensity exercise include:
• Walking briskly (3 miles per hour or faster). Ave Maria has miles of walking trails.
• Bicycling (10 miles per hour or slower). Our bike friendly town allows you to bike to shopping, dining and more!
• Playing tennis (doubles). The Ave Maria North Park is located just north of the Town Center and provides an ideal spot for tennis, baseball, basketball, and plenty of fun in the sun.
Examples of vigorous-intensity exercise include:
• Racewalking, jogging or running. Located in the Town Center, the Ave Maria Fitness Center spans 5,000 square feet of workout and classroom area, men’s and women’s showers, reception area and offices. The workout floor includes state-of-the-art treadmills, stationary bikes, and Star Trac exercise equipment.
• Swimming laps. Adjacent to the schools and the North Park lies Ave Maria’s famed Water Park, rivaling the finest parks of its kind in the area. With its interactive fountains, slides, pools, and pavilions, the Water Park provides hours of resort-style entertainment on a year-round basis.
• Aerobic dancing. The Club at Maple Ridge will be the central hub of activity and relaxation exclusive to residents of Maple Ridge, Maple Ridge Reserve, and Coquina. The Club is poised to include indoor and outdoor activities for all ages including an aerobics studio, bocce court, and dog park.
Ave Maria residents enjoy a seemingly endless array of activities, from free organized events to a waterpark, aquatics center, dog park and miles of walking trails.
With homes from our three featured builders priced from the low $200s to $400s, Ave Maria indeed has something for everyone. Just a few hours south of The Villages on I-75. Make a trip of it and visit our 21 models open daily. Call (239) 325-3903 or visit avemaria.com to learn more.