By Robert J Farnell, Licensed Massage Therapist
Wellness therapy is often overlooked, but it’s an incredibly important key to overall health and function. According to AMTA’s (The American Massage Therapy Association) 2018 Consumer Survey, an average of 19 percent of adult Americans received at least one massage between July 2017 and July 2018, and an average of 31 percent of adult Americans received a massage in the previous five years. A Zogby Analytics survey of consumers in July 2018 indicated 28 percent received a massage from a massage therapist in the past year. In July 2018, 21 percent of women and 16 percent of men reported having a massage in the past twelve months. Thirty-three percent of massage consumers reported received a massage in a spa in 2018.
The primary reason people received massage was for health and wellness reasons:
• 62 percent of adult Americans who had a massage between July 2017 and July 2018 received it for medical or health reasons such as pain management, injury rehabilitation, or overall wellness.
• 48 percent of consumers received a massage during the same time period for soreness, stiffness/spasms.
• 44 percent of consumers received a massage during the same time period for pain relief/management.
• 88 percent agree that massage can be effective in reducing pain.
• 66 percent of consumers had a massage for relaxation/stress reduction during the same time period.
Massage Therapy & Health Care: Why more Americans are discussing massage with their doctors or health care providers.
In July 2018, roughly fifty million American adults (46 percent) had discussed massage therapy with their doctors or health care providers in the previous year, consistent with past years’ data.
Of those 46 percent who discussed massage with their doctor or health care provider, 47 percent of their doctors or health care providers referred them to a therapist/strongly recommended massage therapy/encouraged them to get a massage. While physicians led the way in recommending massage (46 percent vs. 61 percent in 2017), chiropractors (51 percent) and physical therapists (46 percent) also recommended massage therapy when their patients discussed it with them.
Chiropractors continue to refer their patients to massage therapists, with 11 percent of respondents reporting receiving referrals at least once per week, and another 25 percent receiving referrals several times per month. Sixty-five percent of massage therapists received at least one referral every 6 months or less from a hospital or medical office in 2017.
Massage therapists and consumers favor integration of massage into health care.
• Fifty-nine percent of consumers would like to see their insurance cover massage therapy.
• The vast majority of massage therapists (95 percent) believe massage therapy should be considered part of the health care field.
Massage Therapy Research
The therapeutic benefits of massage continue to be researched and studied. Recent research has shown the effectiveness of massage for the following conditions:
• Cancer-related fatigue
• Low back pain
• Osteoarthritis of the knee
• Reducing post-operative pain
• Boosting the body’s immune system functioning
• Decreasing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome
• Lowering blood pressure
• Reducing headache frequency
• Decreasing pain in cancer patients
Hands of Comfort is exclusive, convenient, professional, and VERY affordable. A one hour (60 minute) massage is just $65 at any address in Lutz or Land O Lakes. A small travel charge ($15) is added for any other location in Pasco County
Hands of Comfort Massage Therapists are:
• Male and female Therapists, all Licensed in Florida
• Always provide their current Massage license and photo ID
• Insured with Professional Liability coverage
Trained in Multiple Modalities:
• Deep Tissue
• Lymphatic Service
• And more
Hands of Comfort is available days, evenings, and weekends by appointment.
To make an appointment, or just to discuss the treatment you want. Please TEXT your request to 570-269-7455, name and phone number, or call 570-269-7455 and leave a message.
Out of respect for our client’s time and overall experience, our therapists NEVER answer their phone during a massage, but we will get back to you promptly.
Call today to schedule your personalized, relaxing massage in the comfort of your home.
Hands of Comfort
Robert J Farnell
Licensed Massage Therapist
Florida License #MA 58933
Licensed since 2010 – Valid through Aug 31, 2021