Wrinkles. Crows’ feet. Sagging skin. They can seem to appear all at once, or they may creep in as the year pass by. No matter how they get there or how long it takes them to appear, rest assured that there are various options available to reduce or remove them. Of the facial rejuvenation options available, surgeries like the ones discussed in this article offer the most dramatic and longest lasting results.
Enhance your appearance with a brow lift
Also known as a forehead lift, a brow lift minimizes the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose; improves what are commonly referred to as frown lines; and repositions a low or sagging brow.
If you are bothered by expression lines or other signs of aging in the brow region, a brow lift may be right for you. A brow lift:
- Minimizes the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose, between the eyes
- Improves what are commonly referred to as frown lines, vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows
- Repositions a low or sagging brow that is hooding the upper eyelid
- Raises the eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position
Initial wound healing may take 5 to 10 days, at which time any sutures or clips will be removed. You will be ready to return to work and normal activity at this time. Cosmetics can camouflage any bruising that remains. Life-long sun protection will help to maintain your rejuvenated appearance by minimizing photo-aging or sun damage. In addition, a healthy lifestyle will also help extend the results of your rejuvenated, more youthful appearance.
Rejuvenation procedures typically performed in conjunction with a brow lift include:
- Eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes
- Facelift to correct aging changes in the mid- to lower face and neck regions
Look younger and more rested with eyelid surgery
Also known as blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery improves the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. It gives a rejuvenated appearance to the surrounding area of your eyes, making you look more rested and alert.
Eyelid surgery is not always a purely cosmetic procedure. Eyelid surgery is used for any of these treatable conditions:
- Upper eyelid surgery can remove excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the upper eyelids.
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision, can be treated by eyelid lift surgery.
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty can remove excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid.
- Bags under the eyes can be corrected by blepharoplasty.
- Lower eyelid surgery can correct droopiness of the lower eyelids, showing white below the iris (colored portion of the eye).
A blepharoplasty procedure is usually performed on adult men and women who have healthy facial tissue and muscles and have realistic goals for improvement of the upper and/or lower eyelids and surrounding area.
You must tell your doctor if you have any of these medical conditions:
- Eye disease such as glaucoma, dry eye or a detached retina
- Thyroid disorders such as Graves’ disease and under or overactive thyroid
- Cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure or other circulatory disorders or diabetes
Your final eyelid surgery results will appear within several weeks, but it may take up to a year for incision lines to fully refine. While eyelid surgery can be expected to correct certain conditions permanently, you will continue to age naturally.
Look younger and feel great with a facelift
If you are bothered by signs of aging in your face, facelift surgery may be exactly what you have been looking for. Technically known as rhytidectomy, a facelift is a surgical procedure to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck, such as:
- Sagging in the midface
- Deep creases below the lower eyelids
- Deep creases along the nose extending to the corner of the mouth
- Fat that has fallen or is displaced
- Loss of muscle tone in the lower face may create jowls
- Loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw can make even a person of normal weight appear to have a double chin
Rejuvenation procedures typically performed in conjunction with a facelift are brow lift, to correct a sagging or deeply furrowed brow, and eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes. As a restorative surgery, a facelift does not change your fundamental appearance and cannot stop the aging process.
A facelift can only be performed surgically; non-surgical rejuvenation treatments cannot achieve the same results, but may help delay the time at which a facelift becomes appropriate and complement the results of surgery. It may take several months for swelling to fully dissipate and up to 6 months for incision lines to mature.
Daily sun protection is important, especially following any facial procedures. Minimizing sun exposure will help to maintain your rejuvenated appearance by minimizing photo-aging or sun damage. In addition, a healthy lifestyle will also help extend the results of your rejuvenated, more youthful appearance.
Facial rejuvenation procedures such as a brow lift, eyelid surgery, or a facelift are highly individualized procedures and you should choose to have them for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
The field of cosmetic surgery is dynamic and is evolving all the time. Today’s advances allow Dr. Serra to deliver better, more consistent and longer lasting results often with less down time.
Central Florida Plastic Surgery
www.drserra.com | 1-800-A New You
Fernando G. Serra MD FACS is a board certified plastic surgeon. He founded Central Florida Plastic Surgery in 1998 with offices at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages and the Citrus Tower in Clermont. For more information, he can be reached at www.drserra.com or 1-800-A New You. Dr. Serra specializes in several procedures, including breast enlargement, breast lifts, breast reconstruction, tummy tucks (abdominoplasty), Smartlipo and liposuction. His extensive training, eye for aesthetic beauty, personalized service, and clinical excellence merge to let patients just like you look and feel your best. He helps people gain a healthy, youthful feeling and reach their aesthetic potential. Dr. Serra spent his life is Bushnell, Florida. After graduating from South Sumter County High School as class Valedictorian, Dr. Serra participated in the prestigious Junior Honors Program at the University of Florida, a 7 year combined B.S.-M.D. Program. After completing his M.D. in 1992, Dr. Serra then completed his 6-year plastic surgery residency at the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.